Miniature thermoelastic stress analysis camera
Project description and overview:
1 MILLIKELVIN (1mK) have been developing lab-based thermoelastic stress analysis (TSA) camera hardware in collaboration with Defence Science and Technology (DST) who have created the analysis software. This product is in the late stages of development having recently passed compliance testing. This project proposes to create a miniaturised camera capable of being used for in-situ observations allowing deployment of the technology within the structure under test or operation (e.g. aircraft wings and frames etc).
In addition, the 1mK system can be used in-situ to monitor stress in concrete tunnels and bridges. This application is currently being serviced via CAD modelling packages and specialised testing where 100’s to 1000’s of strain gauges are placed all over a structure.
Key features of the 1mK technology include:
- Creation of a new integrated, miniature thermal and visual camera
- Creation of a new integrated software in the camera
- Creation of new tablet-based viewing and reporting software
- Creation of a new network-based aggregation software
In this project 1mK and their engineering partners, Outerspace and DST Group, aim to take this revolution in dynamic material testing to the world stage via development of the technology to an advanced prototype, ready for in-situ testing with defence primes and the DST Group.
Once the product has been validated by DST Group and defence primes, this product will be ready to be launched into the defence and aerospace markets. There is likely to be applications in the new space industry, and 1mK along with its development partners will assess this and determine what further development will be required.
- Increased spending on R&D
- Increased information and communication (ICT) technology
- Increased collaboration with other manufacturers
- Increased collaboration with research institutions
- Larger patent portfolio
- Increased levels of automation
- Greater share of services in total revenue
- Higher product value density (by weight)
1mK estimate the following projected revenue:
- 2022 – $1m
- 2023 – $2m
- 2024 – $4m
- 2025 – $8m
This project is projected to create additional employment as follows:
- An additional eight skilled jobs at 1mK
- An additional one skilled job at Outerspace Design
- An additional two-4 jobs across domestic project partners and prospective future partners
Government Funds: $149,800 | Industry: $149,800 | In-Kind: $175,000