Australian Processed Recyclate
Project description and overview:
Through this project, Geofabrics will increase the use of locally processed recyclate (recycled plastic materials) into locally manufactured products for the Australian infrastructure sector. The project will assist in building and automating Australian manufacturing capability to manufacture new innovative drainage products using Australian recycled content.
Geofabrics has designed and developed the proof of concept for drainage products that will deliver new and improved drainage performance that are cost competitive. Aimed at increasing recycling capacity, the project includes a capital solution, integration of new machinery into the existing production line and collaboration with local recycled polymer suppliers as part of the local supply chain. The project will also deliver a purpose-built automated end of line process that will increase usage of larger volumes of Australian recycled raw material, improve manufacturing efficiency, meet the market demand, and thereby contribute to the circular economy.
The outcome will be increased demand for Australian recycled plastics, address the low demand for recycled plastics (a critical barriers for plastic recycling across its value chain), deliver a technically advanced cost competitive product, and enable Geofabrics to go further into the consumable supply chain (which includes material wrapping/ packaging products made from 100% recycle material).
- Increased spending on R&D
- Increased collaboration with other manufacturers
- Increased number of staff with science, technology, engineering, and maths (STEM) skills
- Better qualified employees
- Increased levels of automation
- More extensive backward links
- Larger geographical reach
- Geofabrics forecast $3.8M in revenue over 5 years
- This project is projected to upskill and create an additional 17 jobs
Government Funds: $252,000 | Industry: $302,000 | In-Kind: $53,000