Lithium ion battery module
Project description and overview:
ER is leading the development of a purpose-built LiB manufacturing factory called ‘Renaissance One’, which will eventually leverage Australia’s competitive advantage in abundant natural resources of lithium. The LiB manufacturing factory will produce batteries for industrial battery energy storage application such as solar farms, defence assets, mine sites, utilities, commercial and industrial applications, etc.
ER is seeking to exploit a market niche for safe LiBs in hot-climate operating environments. This project will bridge the gap between new product development and manufacturing of Australian made battery energy storage solutions.
This project comprises two key areas, as follows:
- Design of LiB components for hot-climate conditions
- Design of automated production processes for manufacturing LiBs
Australia is the only country in the world that has all the mineral components required for LiB manufacture:
- Lithium – Australia is the lowest cost producer and has 20% of worlds reserves.
- Lithium carbonate is now being manufactured in Perth and in NT (within 18 months)
- Battery Grade Graphite – Concentrate manufactured in South Australia
The following items are mined in Australia but currently sent overseas for processing: Copper, Cobalt, Nickel, Aluminium, Manganese. When demand by Australian LiB manufacturers is sufficient, these minerals will be processed in Australia. At that point, input costs for the manufacture of LiBs in Australia will be considerably reduced and as a result, it is conceivable that Australia will become a manufacturing powerhouse for LiBs, utilising domestic commodities.
- Increased spending on R&D
- More collaboration with other manufacturers to develop hot-climate LiB
- More advanced manufacturing and automation
- Based on ER’s view of the evolving market demand, their projections for battery orders in Australia in 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 respectively are 200MWh, 712MWh and 984MWh
- 20 FTE positions including a Plant Manager, QC Engineer, IA Engineer, Project Manager and Line Engineer
Government Funds: $246,625 | Industry: $246,625 | In-Kind: $155,000