Magneto Modular Deployment Platform – Magneto MDP
Project description and overview:
Nexxis, in partnership with CSIRO|Data61, has developed Magneto Modular Deployment Platform (MDP). Magneto MDP is a multi-limbed, climbing inspection robot far exceeding mobility and versatility of existing inspection solutions.
Industry faces multiple challenges in the ability to safely and cost-effectively carry out asset inspection and testing in confined spaces and hazardous, difficult-to-access areas, including:
- Complex Geometry Inspection
- Autonomy and Localisation
- Data Quality and Analytics
- Hazardous Area Inspection
The Magneto MDP will be development and deployed on asset inspections and will provide testing and measuring for a variety of applications, including onshore & offshore oil rigs, subsea installations, engines, machinery, mining operations, infrastructure projects and manufacturing processes.
Magneto MDP is at TRL 4, prototypes have been demonstrated and industry interest is strong for Nexxis to commercialise the technology. Nexxis will develop and manufacture Magneto MDP to TRL9, addressing commercial demands.
Magneto MDP is autonomous and spatially aware with 12 degrees of freedom, actuated limbs and feet, is capable of dexterity previously unseen. It will be further developed to use advanced sensors and cameras, and incorporate Artificial Intelligence and 3D SLAM allowing collection of high-density data used for photogrammetry, digital twinning, localisation and mapping technologies providing insights on asset condition and integrity.
Magneto MDP is currently focused on asset integrity inspection in the resources industry, although expansion to other sectors will be considered as part of the strategic growth strategy.
- Increased collaboration with other manufacturers
- Increased spending on R&D
- Larger patent portfolio
- Better qualified employees
- Increased number of staff with science, technology, engineering, and maths (STEM) skills
- Greater capital intensity
- Newer equipment
- Greater share of services in total revenue
- Higher trade intensity
- Larger geographical reach
- Nexxis forecast $8.67M in revenue over 5 years
- This project is projected to upskill and create an additional 90 jobs during the project and one year after project completion
Government Funds: $675,002 | Industry: $675,002 | In-Kind: $505,000