Manufacture of energy efficient PVT Coolsheet system
Project description and overview:
PVT Lab developed a heat exchanger module, “THE COOLSHEET”, that is to be placed under commercial photovoltaic panels (PV panel). The heat exchanger module draws heat from the PV panel, reducing the temperature of the PV panel (thereby increasing its efficiency) and transfers this heat into a water system and/or other applications.
PVT Lab has improved the PVT concept and designed the Coolsheet as a patented system that requires no custom PV; can be retrofitted to most framed PV modules; and has been designed to ensure recyclability of all components of the system at the end of life. It is a PVT system that delivers high efficiency gains by transferring excess heat to water. The water/heat can then be used in the building, increasing the overall thermal efficiency of the building design.
The key points of differentiation of the Coolsheet include:
- Can fit almost any PV module with a frame
- Light weight
- Optimal flowrate whilst remaining energy efficient
- Can withstand extreme heat
- Unlimited number of PVT panels connected in parallel in one row
As part of a recent research project with UNSW, the Coolsheet system was measured to deliver 65% efficiency (combined thermal and electrical). As an outcome of this project, the data collected will drive further improvements in the efficiency of the system.
- Increased collaboration with research institutions
- Increased collaboration with other manufacturers
- Increased number of staff with science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) skills
- Larger patent portfolio
- Better energy efficiency
- Better water efficiency
- Larger geographical reach
- PVT Lab forecast $5M in revenue over 3 years with a total market size of $205M in new capital works and potential retrofits available.
This project is projected to create additional employment as follows:
- CNC Laser/Router Operator
- Machine Operator/ Electrical
- Two Factory Hands
- Quality Control Engineer
- Process Worker / Assembly line worker
- Sales Manager
Government Funds: $180,000 | Industry: $180,000 | In-Kind: $45,000