Scaling of detection devices through automation for rapid commercialisation
Project description and overview:
mDetect has designed, developed, and patented a unique muon-based scanning system that is able to provide a cost effective, long-term, stand-alone detection capability that will offer mining companies an early warning mechanism to prevent tailings dam failure.
Muon tomography is a technique that uses naturally occurring cosmic rays (muons) to generate three-dimensional images of subsurface structures and substances, similar to an X-ray scan. Muography offers many advantages over conventional scanning approaches, including that no bulky measuring equipment, high power sources, or radiation licenses are required.
This project aims to develop the processes to produce an automated system for production and enhance cost-effective scalability of the physical devices. Together with the corresponding software pipeline development, this will allow the full automation of data analysis and geophysical reporting for the commercial product.
The mDetect scanning system is a general-purpose low-power, portable, lightweight, system which incorporates silicon photomultiplier-based smart sensors. It is a rugged system that can be deployed with ease, without specialised training or licences, and can be used for analysing large structures such as tailings dams.
This project will open significant commercial opportunities for mDetect through the ability to produce devices at scale and have real-time monitoring of the structural integrity of tailings dam facilities, while enhancing the safety of the surrounding ecosystem and sustainability of mines.
- Increased collaboration with other manufacturers
- Increased spending on R&D
- Increased information and communication technology (ICT) intensity
- Increased number of staff with science, technology, engineering, and maths (STEM) skills
- Better qualified employees
- Larger patent portfolio
- Increased levels of automation
- Greater share of services in total revenue
- Larger geographical reach
- mDetect forecast $7.7M in revenue over 5 years
- This project is projected to upskill and create an additional 31 jobs during the project and within one year after project completion
Government Funds: $248,191 | Industry: $248,191 | In-Kind: $973,255