The Examin Covid Breath Test Device
Project description and overview:
Examin Holdings have developed The Examin Covid Breath Test (ECBT). The ECBT is a handheld device that will detect COVID-19 on patient breath with sensitivity and specificity similar to the ‘gold standard’ PCR lab test. The device can be used in high-traffic settings such as airports, transport hubs, workplaces, or PoC. The detection platform uses a patented electrochemical biosensor to detect the virus on the patient breath. The detection process is based on quantum-mechanical tunnelling current sensors (TCS) technology, pioneered by Utah University.
The ECBT handheld device will detect COVID-19 infection and early-stage COVID-19 infection, not by detecting the body’s immune response to viral infection but by detecting the presence of the COVID-19 viral particle itself at a molecular level in the patient’s breath. In addition, the device will include sophisticated software to read capacitance changes from the sensor, which spike in response to COVID-19, a reading device and associated app, and a secure cloud database to store and communicate testing details and results to all stakeholders.
Contamination between patients is addressed by using a mouthpiece fixed on the device from a container. On completion of each test, the mouthpiece ejects into a biohazard container for disposal. Before mounting the next mouthpiece, the handset is cleaned with an antivirus cloth at the end of each test.
This project will deliver a validated production-ready device, associated TGA/CE/FDA ready documentation and a local supply chain ready to produce to customer orders subject to TGA/CE/FDA approval.
- Increased collaboration with other manufacturers
- Increased spending on R&D
- Higher information and communication technology (ICT) intensity
- Larger patent portfolio
- Increased number of staff with science, technology, engineering, and maths (STEM) skills
- Increased levels of automation
- Greater trade intensity
- Higher product value density (by weight)
- Larger geographical reach
- Examin Holdings forecast $497.3M in revenue over five years
- This project is projected to upskill and create an additional 16 jobs during the project and within one year after project completion
Government Funds: $647,665 | Industry: $647,665